Saturday 14 September 2013

The road to World Champs London

So, my first year of triathlon is approaching the end with only a couple more events to go, one of them being the World Age Group Championships in London after a roll down spot came available at LLanduno Sea Sprint. I knew it was going to be a tough journey and my inexperience has really showed in the events I have done to this point. This was mainly due to the fact I was really push into the deep end to take on events that had an experienced field and superior competition. In high insight I could of really done with a full year of competing in Triathlon under my belt before trying to qualify for one of the most sort after events for a GB age grouper. Anyhow I'm there, I paid the extortionate entry fee (which really did leave me in a dilemma) and now hope to arrive at the start line in some sort of decent shape. Like all my qualifying events, work has had a uncanny way of getting in the way to a decent build up. Again London will be no different as travelling the US 2 weeks leading up to London which is again is not ideal, but I can only try my best!

So as an overview of the year so far. These are the events I took part in:

Grendon Sprint - European Qualifier
Llandudno Sea Sprint - World Qualifier/Welsh Championships

Dambuster Standard - British Championships/World Qualifier
Liverpool Standard - English Championships/World Qualifier

Bedford Middle
Outlaw Middle

The idea this year was to try 2 of each distance to see which distance I enjoyed doing the most. The outcome was quite surprising, especially the middle distance events as I didn't intend to compete in this distance at all and only took part in them to support Daz in his preparation for Zurich Ironman. Which I would like to add he nailed with all the other Nice Tri club members that took part in this Ironman. Please check out the race reports, truly emotional journey for everyone involved and a great read.

I enjoyed the 2 middle distance events as I found the distance much more manageable effort wise and the success probably had some part to play too. Strangely enough standard distance was the most enjoyable but it was the distance I was worst at. I reckon I will continue to give Standard Tri's a go just to see if can improve. Sprint was my least favourite as the effort is just too intense and the race is over just to quick. You have such little time to process the race as it feels horrible from the start; I just can not convince my body to push to that limit.

I also realised that my running really took a nose dive this year as I stay well away from the duathlons and running races I would normally take part in. Out of everything swimming has taken priority and now something I really enjoy doing and dare I say it, it has taken second spot from running. I'm still not that good but really happy with the progress I have achieved with the support of Adam at GreenlightPT. The swim sessions I had with Adam have really help develop my stroke and opened my eyes to open water swimming. I was very naïve to think you get in and swim and believe the wet suit is the only advantage. Look forward to working more on this and getting in the water next year fully focused.

Looking ahead I am really looking forward to winter training and starting the season over again with a more experienced head on my shoulders. I've really missed the racing this year but enjoyed the training. I must return to duathlons and running during the winter in preparation for the spring to return to some previous run fitness. Will also try to make a return to a couple of the events completed this year to see if any improvement can be made.

Not ready to throw in the towel yet in triathlons so looking forward to next year

No comments:

Post a Comment